City officials regret to inform the public that Hackensack will be canceling several summer programs and events to ensure the health and safety of all residents during the continuing COVID-19 crisis. The City believes these cancelations, while unfortunate, are in the best interests of the community and will help in the shared goal of reducing the spread of the virus and saving lives.
“This was a tough decision for the City to make, but it is the right one,” said Mayor John Labrosse. “We’ve made great strides against this virus, but unfortunately, we cannot see a way to put on these events and programs while continuing to practice safe social distancing. I want to thank all residents for their support and cooperation during this difficult time. We look forward to hopefully bringing all of these programs back and better than ever in 2021.”
Details of the cancelations/program changes include:
· The 4th of July Celebration/Fireworks has been canceled.
· The 2020 Summer Concert Series has been canceled.
· City splash parks will not be opening at this time.
· The City of Hackensack Recreation Camp has been canceled, but the City will be organizing food distribution to participating children. More details will be released soon.
· HACPAC ~ Shakespeare in the Park, Movies Under the Stars, Sounds of Summer Concerts and Sunset Yoga events have been canceled.
· National Night Out has been canceled.
· Hackensack Police Department Youth Academy has been canceled.
“The City has made this difficult and disappointing decision in the best interest of our families,” said Councilwoman Stephanie Von Rudenborg. “As a parent myself, I know how challenging this time has been for families in our community. While missing out on these cherished events is undoubtedly sad, it’s what we have to do to protect ourselves and I ask residents to please continue to follow social distancing so that we can get through this crisis.”
City officials will be closely monitoring the updates on COVID-19 and as restrictions change we will keep the community informed about any additions to programming. For up-to-date information and resources about the City’s response to coronavirus pandemic, residents are encouraged to visit the City’s dedicated information portal on their website: http://hackensack.org/covid19.